Sunday 8 March 2020

7 Things I do when I don't feel okay

Kaya Scodelario as Kat Baker. Image from Spinning Out, streamed via Netflix.
As someone who has suffered from anxiety and depression for many years, I have learnt to listen to my body and my mind, and find ways to cope during days that are not great. Whilst aware that people tend to have different coping mechanisms, I thought I might share mine, in the off chance that they might be of help to someone out there.

1. Read a book
One of the worst symptoms that my mental health isn't in a good place is inability to concentrate. Sometimes, it gets so bad that I am unable to focus even on a superhero movie, which should be a breeze to watch. It took me a long time to figure out something that would help me with this. Finally, I realised a simple solution -- read a book.

As much as I adored the classics I read in school, when it comes to trying to get my mind in a place where I am better able to function, I tend to turn to truly easy reads. Historical romances and vampire tales are my jam. After a few days, I usually find myself feeling better, and my mind is better able to handle my daily tasks.

2. Go for a walk
I've been taking advantage of the healing power of a simple walk since my early teens. After a whole day spent in school, I always found that taking a walk recharged me. Now that I am older and struggling not just with my mental health but with a lot of physical issues as well, I cling to walking even more. Yes, there are days when I am not able to leave the house to go for a walk, but when I do, when I get to walk every day, I find that I feel both physically and mentally so much better.

3. Clean my room
I've never been the neatest kid; this did not change even as I grew older. I also have a tendency to hold on to things (e.g. movie tickets, perfume boxes, etc.). When I do clean up, when I throw out things that I certainly no longer need, I feel like some weight is lifted off my shoulders.

4. Re-arrange my closet
Rearranging my closet is one of my favourite things to do when I don't feel okay. There is something about putting my clothes in order that also somehow brings order to my mind.

5. Do the laundry
There are periods in my life when I do the laundry every day, because for some reason I derive a measure of comfort in what others view as a chore. I like looking at clean clothes and I especially like folding them, then arranging them in my drawers and closets.

6. Watch a TV show
I have already written about my belief that Merlin played a huge part in saving my life. TV is my go-to activity when I'm alone at night, a way for me to hopefully avoid the nightmares. Immersing myself in a story calms me.

7. Play with my dog, preferably outside where I can feel the air on my skin
There are days when I can't stand being outside; I try not to be too hard on myself on those days. However, being outside, especially with my dog, feels like an instant injection of happiness.

So, why did I include an image of Kat Baker of Spinning Out in this post? Well, this is still a TV-focused blog, and I wanted to mention Spinning Out, a show centred on a competitive figure skater suffering from bipolar disorder. It was released by Netflix on January 1st, then cancelled a month later. There currently is a campaign for its renewal. Fans on Twitter are also hoping that another network would pick the show up, should Netflix remain firm in its cancellation decision; you can check out the hashtags #RenewSpinningOut and #SaveSpinningOut.

I have read a couple of fans state that watching Spinning Out helps them on bad days. Whilst I like Spinning Out, it's not a show I'd turn to when my mental health isn't great. However, Spinning Out is a rare show that shows the difficulties of living with bipolar disorder. I really hope Spinning Out gets to finish the story it wants to tell.

No comments:

Post a Comment